Top Ways to Keep Your Home Safe when Using Gas Furnaces in Whitby, ON

by | May 17, 2017 | Air Conditioning


Latest Articles



Natural gas furnaces in Whitby, ON are preferable to many homeowners, especially those who live in areas that get violent winter storms. They are also well-known for being cheaper than electric furnaces. While they are great to have in a home, cheaper and burn warm, there are safety tips that you need to follow when you use gas. Gas, even natural gas, can be deadly if used in the wrong way. While keeping that in mind, read on below for a few tips on keeping your home safe when using your gas furnace during the winter months.

Buy a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Gas furnaces in Whitby, ON can develop cracks and leaks as they get older. They can then emit an odorless, tasteless gas that is deadly to the people in your home. For $30 to $40, you can purchase a carbon monoxide detector that will warn you and your family if carbon monoxide is being released into the air. Remember, this gas is deadly and since it’s odorless and colorless, you won’t know it’s there until you start having symptoms and by then it could be too late.

If You Smell Gas, Leave Right Away
If you smell gas, there is no time to waste in getting you and your family to safety. Don’t attempt to turn off any appliances, ignite a flame, or even turn on or off a light switch. Any little spark can cause an explosion. You need to get your family to safety and then call your gas company to come and check out the furnace and declare the house safe for you to return too.

While these types of accidents are rare, they do happen and it’s best to be safe and prepared than unprepared and sorry. For more information, contact the professionals at TwinTech Heating and Cooling for answers.